<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, January 20, 2006

'San Quentin' by Johnny Cash 
'San Quentin'
by Johnny Cash


San Quentin, you've been livin' hell to me
You've hosted me since nineteen sixty three
I've seen 'em come and go and I've seen them die
And long ago I stopped askin' why

San Quentin, I hate every inch of you.
You've cut me and have scarred me thru an' thru.
And I'll walk out a wiser weaker man;
Mister Congressman why can't you understand.

San Quentin, what good do you think you do?
Do you think I'll be different when you're through?
You bent my heart and mind and you may my soul,
And your stone walls turn my blood a little cold.

San Quentin, may you rot and burn in hell.
May your walls fall and may I live to tell.
May all the world forget you ever stood.
And may all the world regret you did no good.

San Quentin, you've been livin' hell to me.

As those of you close to me may know, I'll be moving out of my hometown of 21 years in the next few days.

My hometown is much like San Quentin to me. Few people who find themselves here will ever be fortunate enough to leave.

Its strange, though. As much as I dislike or disagree with so many people and views here (99% of 'em, I'd say) there's something here that I like.
I like the history. My family's roots are in this county since only like two generations after my people came to this country (I'm speaking of the side I've researched most). I live on the land that my ancestors that I've never met in my life lived and worked. Everything has some sort of story to it even if you don't know it.
Deep down, the people aren't bad. Many of them are just ignorant and often bigotted. Apart from those, most are just incredibly phony be their skater cunt posers or wiggers.
I know and love this area. I was raised here where I spent almost every free moment with the sun up outside exploring for miles in the woods and back roads near my house. I've had incredible experiences here.
But I'm not accepted in this town. I was once turned down for a job as a simple cook here because I "looked too scary". I was voted 'most original' my senior year which in my mind was the most polite way they could call me a laregly unwelcome and different freak and not arouse too much suspicion.
There are no jobs. And the few that do exist are impossible for someone like me to get having no car and living in a 'severly rual' area.

So replace 'San Quentin' in those lyrics with "Dillon County". Only it isn't true. I don't really HATE every inch of this county and I don't wish its demise. I just want to know that I have the power to break free of it.
All of that being said, I'll likely be back here in my future (apart from like weekly visits). I only hope I'll be returning to purchase or build one of multiple houses that I hope to own... And that I'll hav a private single-engined airplane to get far away from here as fast as possible if I choose to.

Hope this post wasn't too 'gooey' and I hope it made a lot of sense to you all.

-=The Prynce



Comments:


Random Liberal Bumper Sticker Phrase*:

Buttons

  • This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
  • Get Firefox!
  • Top100bloggers.com

Search Google!

Currently Viewing:




Get Firefox!