<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

'Revolution Man' by The Union Underground 
'Revolution Man'
by The Union Underground


One more time and you'll be dead
At least I think that's what they said
Forty days won't break a man
It was a bullet in his head
There's something in the...
Something in the way you were
The pain so wrong my friend
Revolution...revolution man
Imagine all the people

One more time and you'll be dead
At least I think that's what they said
Forty days won't break a man
It was a bullet in his head

Listen while I load my gun
He said to me
Something 'bout a chosen one
It's comin' back to me
Watch him while I taste the sun
He said to me
Something 'bout a chosen one
You'll never be

One last time your medicine
Swallow hard and take it in
Lucy's in the sky again
Trippin' on her diamonds


If this song is not about John Lennon then I dunno what is!

Apparently, The Union Underground are really big fans of his or at least of The Beatles.

In this song alone, here are the allusions to The Beatles that I know of:

"One more time and you'll be dead" could be a reference to warnings people give about drugs which Lennon did use.

It was a bullet that killed Lennon and not the toils (of 'forty days') and actions in his life.

'Something' is a song by The Beatles, though George Harrison wrote and sang it (I think) and it contains the line "Something in the way".

Many people consider Lennon a revolutionary. Not to mention one of his best known Beatle songs, 'Revolution' and then the creepy track 'Revolution 9' (9 is a number often associated with Lennon).

"Imagine all the people" is a line from Lennon's song "Imagine" which is widely agreed to be one of the greatest songs ever.

The bit about loading a gun could be about Lennon's killer. The 'chosen one' line could be, too, as he basically said he thought he had to kill Lennon for being a phony and he could have seen himself as chosen by God (he was another twisted religious freak) to kill Lennon.
Or that line could be saying that Lennon was something better than just an earthly man. In short, it could be comparing him to Jesus.

The part about Lucy is clearly nodding to the Beatles' song "Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds" which Lennon wrote about a painting his son made.

That's all that I see for this song. If you know any other allusions, let me know via a comment on this post.

One other connection with this band to Lennon is the song "Turn Me On Mister Deadman" which is sort of an obvious nod at the aforementioned "Revolution 9". When played backwards, it sounds as though someone is constantly saying "Turn me on dead man".

Regardless, this song is GREAT as is the band. Check this track out as well as others.

-=The Prynce



Comments:
God he was such a great man. I personally think that he could have made the world a better place if he would've been givin the chance.

"XOXO John Lennon"

Great song Prynce,
Shannon  



Random Liberal Bumper Sticker Phrase*:

Buttons

  • This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
  • Get Firefox!
  • Top100bloggers.com

Search Google!

Currently Viewing:




Get Firefox!