<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, January 06, 2006

'Brain Damage' by Pink Floyd 
'Brain Damage'
by Pink Floyd


The lunatic is on the grass.
The lunatic is on the grass.
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs.
Got to keep the loonies on the path.

The lunatic is in the hall.
The lunatics are in my hall.
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And everyday the paper boy brings more.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too
I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon.

The lunatic is in my head
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon.

(background vocals:
"I can't think of anything to say except...
I think it's marvelous! HaHaHa!")

I posted this song in honor of Syd Barrett's 60th birthday which was yesterday.

The song is quite simply about losing your mind. Syd Barrett was the original lead singer of Pink Floyd but he went a little (or a lot) crazy and was institutionalized and they went on to become legends without him but you can still sense him in almost all of their music that came even after him.
Their songs tended to be about sanity or insanity in some way. Some people think most of their songs are about drugs but I think they're actually about insanity. Barrett was rumored to be really big on using drugs such as LSD and probably ended up doing it a little too much.
So in actuality, they may be largely about drugs vicariously.

I don't really feel the need to go line-by-line or anything to explain how it is about insanity. I mean, look at the title!
One noteable verse, though, is about lobotomies. Its the bit that includes the line "Take the blade. You make the change and rearrange me until I'm sane"

I think its a sort of a sad song, really. Losing one's sanity is pretty depressing in my opinion.

And I'm sure at least some of you are with me in knowing how it feels to think you're losing your mind.

-=The Prynce



Comments:


Random Liberal Bumper Sticker Phrase*:

Buttons

  • This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
  • Get Firefox!
  • Top100bloggers.com

Search Google!

Currently Viewing:




Get Firefox!